Everyone loves a good smoked meat, but not everyone knows how to prepare it in the electric smoker. Are you having problems getting the meat to the cooking point you want?
Here we show you how to smoke a brisket in an electric smoker. Electric smokers like the MasterBuilt, for example, are more practical, as the traditional recipe can take up to 12 hours of cooking.
So, making this recipe in an electric smoker will take you less time without neglecting the result of a juicy meat. In this case, we will focus on smoked beef brisket recipe, as beef is a favorite to prepare in electric smokers.
Just think of that beautiful range of chestnut tones, a crispy texture on the outside but very juicy and tender on the inside. You’re not that far away from achieving that result.
Here we will guide you with some tips for smoking brisket in electric smoker, from the way to cut the meat to the best wood chips to season your smoker to a restaurant-level result.
Grab your smoker, put on your apron and let’s get to work!
Step-By-Step How to Smoke Brisket In An Electric Smoker
One of the first questions that comes up when preparing this dish is how long to smoke the brisket.
The smoking time will depend on whether or not you wrap it in aluminum foil, and yes, it is valid to do so. Both the duration and the temperature will also depend on the amount of breast.
Each pound of breast should be smoked for 1 hour; that is, if you cook 6 pounds of breast, the cooking time would be 6 hours at 190° F (90° C).
Before starting, turn on the electric smoker and let it heat up for a while so that our beef can cook perfectly.
- 1 8 lb. beef brisket
- Apple juice, beer or liquid of your choice
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp salt powder
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- To begin, the breast should be at room temperature. If it is in the refrigerator, take it out 40 minutes before seasoning.
- With a sharp knife, cut the breast. Shred the excess fat.
- In a bowl, add all the seasonings, from the chili powder to the onion powder. Mix very well.
- Take the breast and rub over the seasoning mixture. This part is fundamental to enliven the flavors of the meat, besides this will form the crust of the breast.
- While the electric smoker is very hot, at a temperature of 225° F or 190° F, first make sure that the smoke comes out clean. If so, insert the breast with the fat layer facing up.
- Let it cook for 3 hours and, after this time, open the smoker to spray some of the liquid. From this step, spray every 30 minutes.
- If the temperature of the smoker has dropped, you can line the breast with aluminum foil. Here it is important that you spray more liquid.
- Once the temperature has been regulated, it is only a matter of letting it cook for another 4 hours. In this case, as it is an 8 pound breast, it should be smoked for about 8 hours, always with supervision to prevent it from drying out.
- After this time, let the breast rest at 190°F for about 1 hour.
- Time to remove the beef breast and enjoy it during a family afternoon or with your friends.
Tips & Tricks
Like any recipe, this dish has its tricks. Don’t leave without reading these tips for smoking brisket in electric smoker:
Choose a breast that has a thick layer of fat
This is one of the secrets for the meat to be very juicy, since during cooking, the fat will melt and moisten the whole meat.
Furthermore, the fat should not make up most of the breast. If there is too much fat, the humor will not be able to penetrate the meat.
Make sure you run all the preparations
Season the breast the night before and let the spices soak into the meat, this will intensify the flavors; but do not overdo it with the amount of seasoning.
You can use the basics: salt and pepper. Then, cut the breast with a seven-inch knife that is well sharpened. This way you will get a neat and uniform cut.
The wood you use in the smoker will also influence the result of your smoked beef brisket recipe. We recommend using oak, walnut or mesquite, all well dried.
Cook with patience
To distribute the fat evenly, rotate the brisket every hour. Besides, if you are going to wrap the breast in aluminum foil, spray it with some liquid (onion soup, beer) to prevent it from sticking.
Aluminum foil guarantees a very juicy breast, as long as you spray some liquid on it.
You don’t have to wonder anymore how to use an electric smoker. With our smoked beef brisket recipe, you will have a delicious meal on your plate! And if you have any doubt make sure to contact us we’ll be here for the cooks!